[doap-interest] language and doap:translator

balbinus balbinus at bonjourlesmouettes.org
Sun Sep 26 13:50:17 BST 2004

Hi,

> What would be the best practice to specify the language a doap:translator
> translated the project into? A doap:translator with a sub property
> "translated-into", or a doap:translator inside a "translation" class,
> which
> has dc:language?

If I translate your proposal (very interesting, btw) in RDF/XML, you get:

<doap:translator>
 <foaf:Person>
  <foaf:name>Paul Dupont</foaf:name>
  <doap:translated-into>fr</doap:translated-into>
 </foaf:Person>
</doap:translator>

or:

<doap:Translation>
 <dc:language>fr</dc:language>
 <doap:translator>
  <foaf:Person>
   <foaf:name>Paul Dupont</foaf:name>
  </foaf:Person>
 </doap:translator>
</doap:Translation>

Well, I find advantages and drawbacks to both of the ways:

The first doesn't state what was translated into the language specified. The
second one breaks the "style" of the others (doap:developer,
doap:maintainer, doap:helper...).

On the other hand, some people pointed the lack of a way to say "the
documentation (eg) of the project is accessible by the URI (http: or isbn:
or what-you-want) X. Creating classes as doap:Documentation and
doap:Translation, and inserting doap:documenter and co. in them would be a
solution to these problems...

Cordialement,
Vincent TABARD
http://www.balbinus.net