[doap-interest] language and doap:translator

Frank S. Thomas frank at thomas-alfeld.de
Sun Sep 26 16:26:58 BST 2004

On Sunday 26 September 2004 14:50, balbinus wrote:

> <doap:translator>
>  <foaf:Person>
>   <foaf:name>Paul Dupont</foaf:name>
>   <doap:translated-into>fr</doap:translated-into>
>  </foaf:Person>
> </doap:translator>
>
> or:
>
> <doap:Translation>
>  <dc:language>fr</dc:language>
>  <doap:translator>
>   <foaf:Person>
>    <foaf:name>Paul Dupont</foaf:name>
>   </foaf:Person>
>  </doap:translator>
> </doap:Translation>
>
> Well, I find advantages and drawbacks to both of the ways:
>
> The first doesn't state what was translated into the language specified.
> The second one breaks the "style" of the others (doap:developer,
> doap:maintainer, doap:helper...).
>
> On the other hand, some people pointed the lack of a way to say "the
> documentation (eg) of the project is accessible by the URI (http: or isbn:
> or what-you-want) X. Creating classes as doap:Documentation and
> doap:Translation, and inserting doap:documenter and co. in them would be a
> solution to these problems...

I would also prefer the second, it allows more precise information about a
documentation/translation. Eg: Peter, leader of the english translation team,
translated with the help of Sally my project and Richard helped them to
incorporate their translation into the project.

<doap:Translation>
  <dc:language>en</dc:language>
  <doap:maintainer>... Peter ...</doap:maintainer>
  <doap:translator>... Sally ...</doap:translator>
  <doap:helper>... Richard ...</doap:helper>
</doap:Translation>

Hmm... maybe the translation itself should then be a SubProject of
a doap:Project, so that one can reuse all properties from doap:Project.

Grüße,
Frank