[doap-interest] Dependencies and releases

Mike Stanley mstanley at mstanley.net
Wed Sep 29 13:28:08 BST 2004

Hi Edd!

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 05:21, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Glad to see there's some interest in getting dependencies and releases
> better subscribed.  It's been a requirement I've been thinking of, along
> with the project/subproject relationships.

Terrific!  This is something Java needed yesterday.

> I tend to think we need to do quite a bit of thinking about this before
> putting it in.  My strawman model for modelling such things will be the
> metadata present in Debian packages.  As Debian manages to successfully
> package pretty much all open source software in existence, I expect
> their release metadata and dependency modelling to be very near what
> DOAP needs.

I hate to admit, I'm not *yet* familiar with Debian's package model.  I
will look into it and comment more later.

> For those considering solutions, please also consider what the simplest
> solution to the problem might be, too.

Always :-)

> Just a word on process, although I am reluctant to mention it.
> Basically, I reserve the right to control the DOAP schema as I see fit.
> But I hope you'll find me somebody who listens and engages in
> discussions.  Your decision to engage with DOAP really depends on how
> much you trust me as a person.

I don't know Edd.  You haven't shown me much in the past ;-)  Just
kidding...

In Edd I trust.  I'm convinced this idea needed/needs you behind it.  I
hope you'll find ME somebody who listens, engages, and inspires, as you
have.

The pleasure is mine.
- Mike