[doap-interest] How many projects per file?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Feb 9 20:05:59 GMT 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:41:57PM -0600, Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:35:20 -0500, Christopher Schmidt
> <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
>
> I think I understand where you're coming from, and I suppose I was
> thinking in terms of tools which more generally treat the data as RDF
> (and not "DOAP-specific"). For example, when I cooked up a DOAP file
> which describes two different projects and then ran it through
> balbinus' DOAP viewer:
>
> http://doapy.bonjourlesmouettes.org/doap-viewer.php.en?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fxruby.org%2Fdoap.rdf
>
> It assumed that all of the data referred to the same project.

Well, a DOAP viewer is, by nature, DOAP-specific. I can tell you a
dozen ways to build tools that will take the data in as RDF, and then
give you some pretty crazy looking things coming out.

However, if you're looking at the data using, say, a query language,
I think that you'll end up with data that you can deal with quite
handily with multiple projects. Proof of concept:

http://crschmidt.net/doap/fxruby.example.txt

is the output of a Redland python script, available at:

http://crschmidt.net/doap/fxruby.py.txt

(You must have Redland and Python bindings installed to use this
script.)

As you can see, the projects are easily seperated: one is FXRuby,
one is FOX. However, when you deal with a specific tool, it may or
may not support multiple projects in a single file.

(I'm kinda proud of that thing: I cooked it up in 5 minutes while
writing this email. nifty, and easily adaptable to print out a
simplified view of FOAF files...)

--
Christopher Schmidt