[doap-interest] DOAP and related projects

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:25:20 BST 2005

On 10/24/05, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> I've not used RDF for a while, so excuse me if this is dumb.
> I would like to use DOAP to describe a project I'm working on,
> and I'd like to mention other projects it relates to. How would
> you suggest that I do that?

Good question. Skimming the DOAP schema*, nothing jumps out as
immediately suitable for the purpose. The term rdfs:seeAlso can be
used to link related resources:
[[
A triple of the form: S rdfs:seeAlso O
states that the resource O may provide additional information about S.
]]
which might help, I guess with S and O being references to the Project
node (you'd no doubt need to include something like its homepage
property in your local doc to make the reference clear).

I don't know if it has any bearing, but there is also a
pseudo-convention of using this to refer in one RDF/XML doc to refer
to another RDF/XML doc, that's discussed on the ESW Wiki [1] (although
I suspect that might be overthinking it a little ;-)

Do you have any specific kinds of relationships in mind?

I'm kind-of in the process of working out an ontology for projects of
a more general nature [2] (been at it over two years now, slow
progress ;-) which will (somehow) include the notion of dependencies,
components etc. What I've got right now should be labelled "unstable",
but I'm open to practical uses that might shift bits to "testing".

Cheers,
Danny.

* a trick I wished I'd realised earlier - MortenF's RDFS Explorer is
really handy for skimming schemas, e.g.
http://xml.mfd-consult.dk/ws/2003/01/rdfs/?rdfs=http%3A%2F%2Fusefulinc.com%2Fns%2Fdoap%23

[1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/UsingSeeAlso
[2] http://purl.org/stuff/project/