[doap-interest] [ANN] doap:store, a collaborative DOAP projects directory

Uldis Bojars captsolo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 13:33:47 UTC 2006

Thomas,

> giving my URL:
> http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/gstreamer.doap?view=co
> does not work.
>
> The page says No SIOC/FOAF/DOAP/OWL/RDFs/RDF found.

OK, I see what is the problem.

DOAP is based on RDF document format. Please check your document in
the RDF validator - it is not a valid RDF document.
http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/

Try adding:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
to the front of the document and </rdf:RDF at the end.

RDF has significant benefits over plain XML when it comes to using
data and integrating different kinds of data from various sources
(e.g., information about persons and their projects), but you have to
make sure the DOAP profile is valid RDF/XML.

---

Another thing that I see in your file is that you are recording past
releases/versions in the DOAP profile. A useful use case for DOAP, but
when looking at DOAP article on IBM DeveloperWorks I noticed that we
are meant to use DOAP for current releases [only?]:

"Although, as stated in the first article in this series, the tracking
of each project release is not part of the first phase of DOAP, you
still a need to describe current releases of software projects. The
Version class represents an instance of a software release."

This does not prevent us from using it for historical data, of course.
:) But makes me wish to see the second phase of DOAP which has
properties specifically for historical data like what can be generated
from SVN or CVS.

P.S. Forwarded your mail to the developer of PingTheSemanticWeb who
may address these questions in more detail.

Best,
Uldis

[ http://captsolo.net/info/ ]