[doap-interest] DOAP + OpenID + PURL = doapurl.org

Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 12 19:00:36 GMT 2007

I agree that having a long-term method of identifying projects is a
good thing Rob.

I'm not sure about the over-all merits of having a DOAP specific
PURL server. I had imagined that in the long-term most DOAP would be
published automatically by code repositories and project websites as
a by-product of their core activities, in much the same way the
blogs and planets publish RSS and OPML. I had imagined that DOAP
would be found via micro-formats, standard buttons or see-also type
headers, also like RSS and OPML.

Projects are found either using the regular web and these
mechanisms, via project dependency metadata, via the project
catalogues of code repositories.

Having a master list of DOAP files sounds great, but it sounds a
little like you're recreating DNS in RDF...

Might something like a semantic wiki[1] not be easier to enable
projects hosted in obscure places to be reached by semantic web
crawlers?

Do you have a plan to check that projects are real open source
projects and not spammers poisoning your index with their hateful
projects do drive links and clicks to their sites?

cheers
stuart

[1] http://ontoworld.org/wiki/

OSS Watch: http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/