[doap-interest] Project relationships and funding

Jorge Santos jorge.jsf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:56:23 BST 2007

On 7/17/07, Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Simal[0] is an embryonic project catalog application. We're
> using  RDF/DOAP but we'd like to extend it in two directions. The first is
> project dependency and the second is project funding. We like input /
> debate. Ideally these would be in the main DOAP namesape.
>
> <rdf:Property rdf:about=3D"http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#DependsOn">
>         <rdfs:isDefinedBy rdf:resource=3D"http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#" =
/>

>         <rdfs:label xml:lang=3D"en">Depends on</rdfs:label>
>         <rdfs:label xml:lang=3D"fr">?</rdfs:label>
>         <rdfs:label xml:lang=3D"es">?</rdfs:label>
>         <rdfs:comment xml:lang=3D"en">A project which this project depends
> upon. Thus the Linux Kernel depends on GCC, because the Kernel only compi=
les
> correctly (and is tested against) GCC and  the various apache HTTPD modul=
es
> depend on the HTTPD itself because they are useless in practice without i=
t.
> </rdfs:comment>
>         <rdfs:comment xml:lang=3D"fr">?</rdfs:comment>
>         <rdfs:comment xml:lang=3D"es">?</rdfs:comment>
>
>         <rdf:type rdf:resource=3D"
> http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#TransitiveProperty" />
>         <rdfs:domain rdf:resource=3D"http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#Project"
> />
>         <rdfs:range rdf:resource=3D"http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#Project"=
 />
> </rdf:Property>

You may want to distinguish between runtime dependencies and buildtime
dependencies, you never know what information may end up being used for, and
the more you have (within reason) the better.  So in your example, gcc is a
buildtime dependency for the Linux kernel and httpd is a runtime dependency
for httpd modules.

Cheers,
Jorge

DependsOn is defined in terms of projects. I recognize that it could also be

3a22a5fffef17e/4c386a4b682200a0