[doap-interest] DOAP and customers

James Howison james at howison.name
Thu Aug 14 18:45:35 CEST 2008

Seems to me that a customer relationship to a project is not well
defined (Software customer, support customer, contract customer,
source customer, re-distributer ....).

The range of types of commercial relationships is pretty large and a
single word doesn't do much justice.  Moreover it isn't clear what the
customer is getting (what the object for a putative doap:customer
would be).

For example a Project can produce multiple pieces of software each of
which might be the product. Perhaps it would help to think of parts of
the doap vocabulary being products that a customer might purchase,
then seeking a vocabulary better suited to describing the specific
type of commercial relationship you are interested in.  I rather
think, though, that you'll find that a Project is something that is
part_of a Company, a Product is released by a Company, and a Customer
is customerOf the Company, in some fashion.

--J