[doap-interest] dependencies of a project

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Jun 10 13:48:42 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:45:20PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sergio Fernández <sergio at wikier.org> wrote:
> > do you know any property to say that a project depends of another
> > project? I think if it doesn't exist it would be useful to have it in
> > DOAP.
>
> I think I'd use dcterms:requires in a dc:relation for that.  See
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/#terms-requires
>
> Why should this be in DOAP?  Why reinvent wheels?

One of the core principles of DOAP is "If it's worth saying at all, it's
worth saying in DOAP." The whole point behind the machine-readable terms
is that machines can read them and understand that 'doap:depends' is
equivilant to 'dcterms:requires'. Applications which are users of DOAP
should not need that knowledge.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt