[doap-interest] How to model DOAP mailing lists in RDF?

Sergio Fernández sergio at wikier.org
Mon Jan 17 15:19:47 CET 2011

I'd suggest you to switch to SIOC [1] and SIOC Types [2] for modelling
mailing lists.

SWAML [4], for instance, generates something like:

<http://foo#Project> ;
  a doap:Project ;
  doap:mailing-list <http://foo#ML> .

<http://foo#ML> ;
  a sioc:Forum ;
  a sioct:MailingList .

(you can find more examples at [4]).

For futher details, you can check [5].

Cheers,

[1] http://rdfs.org/sioc/ns#
[2] http://rdfs.org/sioc/types#
[3] http://swaml.berlios.de
[4] http://swaml.berlios.de/demos
[5] http://sioc-project.org

On 17 January 2011 14:05, Sander W G van der Waal
<sander.vanderwaal at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Dear DOAP-interest,
>
> I am looking for the best way to model a DOAP mailing list
> in RDF while aiming to be a good RDF/semantic web citizen.
>
> The DOAP spec defines the property doap:mailing-list
> but only specifies a rdfs:domain, no rdfs:range [1].
> The description suggests it could map onto a "Mailing
> list home page or email address".
>
> Looking at FOAF as the most suitable vocabulary for
> email addresses and home pages, I find that the domain
> of the foaf:mbox property is foaf:Agent so I can use eg.
> foaf:Group as a subclass of foaf:Agent which could have
> predicates for both an foaf:mbox and a foaf:homepage.
>
> An example would be:
>
> <http://projx.com>
>    a doap:Project ;
>    doap:mailing-list <http://projx.com/mailing-list> .

>    a foaf:Group ;
>    foaf:mbox "projectx-subscribe at projx.com" ^^xsd:string ;
>
> Is this similar to what other people are using for mailing
> lists? Or is there perhaps a more suitable vocabulary?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sander
>
> [1] http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#
> [2] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
>
> OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

 \ \/\/ /| | / / / -_) '_|  Sergio Fernández
  \_/\_/ |_|_\_\_\___|_|    http://www.wikier.org/