foaf & genealogy

Danny Ayers danny666 at v...
Sun Dec 1 11:06:18 UTC 2002

I just spotted a post on the GenealogyXML at yahoogroups.com list suggesting
Topic Maps for genealogy data. RDF *should* be really good for this, with
the one possible difficulty being how to manage the "the gravestone says he
died in 2003" kind of data given the state of contexts & reification.

I reckon the bits needed for simple genealogy should sit very nicely
alongside FOAF, and it would allow the foafnaut to do families too.

A quick Google doesn't find much - there is an old DAML vocab at
http://orlando.drc.com/daml/Ontology/Genealogy/current/

also rdf2ge12.zip RDF to GEDCOM ...
http://ftp.cac.psu.edu/genealogy/paf/INDEX.html

(fyi, I know close to nothing about gen. - I just thought family trees would
make a good example use of SVG for 'Unleashed', but it started getting too
big to fit in the space)

Cheers,
Danny.

Danny Ayers

Semantic Web Log :
http://www.citnames.com/blog

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." - Chaucer