[rdfweb-dev] Is it OK to produce valid-but-strange-looking RDF?

Phillip Pearson pp at m...
Thu Dec 5 10:14:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:57:57AM -0000, Jim Ley wrote:
> Yep, non RDF tools that deal with that wrongly are going to get an awful
> lot wrong, so aren't likely to be around too long, all the genuine RDF
> tools will deal with it fine, so there should be no problem.

That's great to know.

> I think it would be nice though if you could get the serialiser make it
> look as "normal" as possible simply for debugging purposes, but as an RDF
> application it should make no difference.
>
> All of the main foaf consumers I know of would have no problem, they all
> use real parsers.

I've modified RDFLib and sent Eikeon a patch; now it generates more
normal-looking FOAF (apart from the outer rdf:Description and
dc:creator, a side-effect of the extra triple I added in):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rdf:RDF
xmlns:dc="http://http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.myelin.co.nz/">
<dc:creator>
<foaf:Person rdf:nodeID="pearsonp">
<foaf:name>Phillip Pearson</foaf:name>
<foaf:firstName>Phillip</foaf:firstName>
<foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://blogs.salon.com/0000002"/>
<foaf:surname>Pearson</foaf:surname>
</foaf:Person>
</dc:creator>