[rdfweb-dev] Re: LiveJournal FOAF Suggestion

Jim Ley jim at j...
Thu Dec 12 10:28:28 UTC 2002

<leigh at l...>

http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=suggestions&itemid=278763

> Nice. I think this is a good idea generally. Reciprocal links in FOAF
> descriptions doesn't seem like a particularly quick way to bootstrap
> into a very large data set. It'd be nice if there were some
> centralised places from which FOAF data could be grabbed, as well as
> making use of data thats already 'nearly FOAF'.

Because of Google, and Eric's googlescutterplan making it accessible, and
the bulletin board I don't think there's too much of a problem with foaf
discovery at the moment. Any new scutters can easily bootstrap
themselves to a lot of data (~1000 people) just from one of the existing
scutters http://jibbering.com/foaf/scutterplan.1 for example.

You can also get processed foaf data from the foafnaut tarball, or if you
ask me a SQL dump of the actual database.

> Thats not to say we need a single centralised location, just that a
> few 'hubs' would help build the network. As well as providing
> well-known places for people to link their FOAF files from.

http://jibbering.com/foaf/update.html gets the data live into foafnaut,
and any parsing errors reported.

Jim.