[rdfweb-dev] FOAF linking to PGP public key

Jim Ley jim at j...
Fri Dec 13 12:09:04 UTC 2002

"Phil Ringnalda" <phil at p...>

> I really like Paul Bausch's idea of PGP signing weblog comments to
manage
> identity [1], but it needs some way to automagically go from "they say
this
> is their URL" to a public key. FOAF autodiscovered in the HTML URL
seems
> like a good place to stash the URL for the public key (especially if
you
> then offer people still wondering about the commenter's identity a way
> browse around the people they foaf:know), but I'm afraid that wot [2]
isn't
> quite simplified enough for me just yet: could someone give me a
> copy-and-paste example? I'm pretty sure I can manage to change the
> rdf:resources and literals in an example, but the raw schema's a bit
beyond
> me.

<rdf:RDF xmlns:foaf="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
xmlns:wot="http://xmlns.com/wot/0.1/">
<foaf:Person rdf:ID="jim">
<foaf:name>Jim Ley</foaf:name>
<foaf:mbox rdf:resource="mailto:jim at j..."/>
</foaf:Person>
<wot:PubKey>
<wot:identify rdf:resource="#jim"/>
<wot:pubkeyAddress
rdf:resource="http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&amp;search=0xE43
5386D"/>
</wot:PubKey>
</rdf:RDF>

Appears to be what you want (at a minimum, you include include more info
about the public key, an ID etc), however the pubkeyAddress in the
schema's comment says "The location of the public key used to sign the
present document", which means we're somewhat abusing it.

We could just use a keyserver, then we don't need to direct people to a
specific address at all, the foafnaut scutter only attempts to acquire
keys from pgp.mit.edu currently.

Jim.