<foaf:community>?

The Emperor <the_emperor at m...> the_emperor at m...
Fri Dec 13 17:11:00 UTC 2002

Martin,

> Please can we not have HTML email on this list? I'm interested in
this
> topic but reading this exchange in my newsreader is difficult.

I caught your other post on this but it did remond me to switch HTML
formatting off in myown profile (I also object to extra formatting).

> I think a community definition would be a boon to the uptake of
FOAF,
> because a lot of the most interesting sites are community sites
> (slashdot, somethingawful, metafilter, b3ta, numerous thriving
> discussion boards) and it is important to individuals to be able to
> publically identify themselves with quite arbitrary groups (Hell's
Angels,
> IRC #randomchannel regulars, Britcom fans, MidWest Bisexual Plushie
> Fetishists) and to have properties that are peculiar to those groups
> (geek codes, megabytes of Warez uploaded, Karma). An online
identity is
> often little more than a standing of a particular group.
> "Organisation" has more legalistic: is the Hell's Angels an
> organisation?

I think you are discussing two different concepts (both of which are
very interesting). I was thinking of communities as in community
sites - Hells Angels (but, possibly, not individual chapters),
Brittney fans (but not specific forums), etc. are a whole different
kettle of fish - groups or special interest groups (SIGs) and are
much more nebulous and are really loose collections of communities.
It would be interesting to have a <sig:Group> module too to try and
give meaning to these kinds of communities. I am a member of a number
of communities which are parts of larger groups and finding a way to
describe those larger SIGs would also be interesting - unless I've
got the wrong end of the stick, of course ;)

Regards,
Emps