[rdfweb-dev] Re: <foaf:community>?

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Sat Dec 14 18:44:46 UTC 2002

Great question. A quick scribble towards an answer:

FOAF (and RDF generally) separates 'what you can say' from 'who says it'.
FOAF provides the raw materials for the former, and a few ideas a conventions
for keeping track of the latter.

One trick w.r.t. group membership, might be to follow the foaf:workplaceHomepage example., and do the same for groups more generally conceived.

If I say:
<foaf:Person foaf:name="Dan Brickley">
<foaf:workplaceHomepage rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/"/>
</foaf:Person>

...it is a claim that I work for the organisation whose homepage is http://www.w3.org/

In which case, if you are looking to figure out whether I really am
part of that group, then http://www.w3.org/ might be a good place to start
hunting for RDF that makes the same claim.

If W3C's home page (or any group, employer etc) had a LINK REL pointing to
RDF that made the assertions, you have a certain amount of consistency. For
any URL that is the homepage of a group, you can see who that group thinks
are its members by looking at the FOAF it links to...

Does that make sense?

Dan (heading off to fiddle with IDE cables and primary paritions and
boot sectors and suchlike for a while... ugh...)

* Bill Kearney <wkearney99 at h...> <wkearney99 at h...> [2002-12-14 18:24-0000]