<foaf:community>?

The Emperor <the_emperor at m...> the_emperor at m...
Sun Dec 15 13:19:52 UTC 2002

I was looking through WordNet and the WN 1.6/RDF page at xlmns (nice
work there) and I'd overlooked the possibility that community could
be defined to take in what I was calling groups and WordNet allows
for this:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Community-6
Community-6 - people with shared goals and interests
Grouping >> Group >> Social_group >> Assemblage >> Gathering >> Body
>> Occupational_group >> Vocation >> Occupation >> Community

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Community
Community - a group of people coming together in the same area
Grouping >> Group >> Social_group >> Assemblage >> Gathering >>
Community

so the Group would be defined by Community-6 while a communiy based
around a web site (or anything else like a school, workplace, etc.)
could be defined by Community.

As I said previously WN also gives the definitions we would need to
deine people who might have control over aspects of a webpage:

Administrator
Moderator-2

However, I can't seem to track down 'web site' in WN1.6 but I know it
is in WN 1.7:

http://www.foxsurfer.com/wordnet/index.php?action=search&word=web_site

---
I would imagine you could also define FOAFCorp using a more general
markup using (possibly using Community-6 for the grouping):

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Corporation
http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Board
http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Committee

and I had a look at how it could be used in a religious context:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Religion-2

As in Community-6
http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Church

as in Community:
http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Church-2

and distinctions can be made:

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Clergy

http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Laity

and priest, bishop, imam, rabbi are all there.

----
So (after a bit of a ramble) I was wondering a couple of things:

1. If it is possible to use WordNet in that way to define the various
groupings and meanings of a community?

2. If so would it be a good idea to develop a new namespace or adapt
the existing ones (I could see a new one reducing the size of the
resulting XML documents, etc. but it might just not be required).

3. Would it be possible to move to WN 1.7?

Regards,
Emps