[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Skills

Jason Bell jason at p...
Thu Dec 19 12:36:30 UTC 2002

Ian

I threw a couple of ideas regarding CV info within a FOAF, but then decided
to move it as a seperate project.

My original post:

Regards
Jason Bell

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Davis [mailto:iand at i...]
Sent: 19 December 2002 11:49
To: rdfweb-dev at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [rdfweb-dev] FOAF Skills

I'm sure this is not a new idea.

I've been thinking about profiling skills in FOAF with a twist. The
traditional CV is a list of employers, academic achievements and
skills which was born from a lack of communication capability between
employers, i.e. they have to rely on you telling them what you've done
because they cannot possibly gather the information themselves.

However, in a networked world it might be feasible. So, rather than me
declaring my skills in my FOAF, I'd like other people to declare what
they know about me. The employer then needs only to find someone who
knows me that they trust the opinion of (could be an agency I guess).

Two vocabularies are needed: skills and competency levels. I looked at
the HR markup stuff[1] but they cheekily avoid both of these instead
opting for a framework in which you can build your own ratings etc.

I've looked at the various big recruitment sites but it doesn't seem
that they have anything like uri addressable descriptions of skills.
One alternative is to point to a Wikipedia entry, e.g.
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl>

For a quick start on the competency levels pointing to Advogato might
be pragmatic - they provide 3 different levels: Apprentice, Journeyer,
Master.

The RDF could look something like this:

<foaf:Person>
<!-- person identifying stuff here -->

<foaf:skillCompetency>

<foaf:skill
rdf:resource="http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl" />

<foaf:competency
rdf:resource="http://www.advogato.org/certs.html#Journeyer" />
</foaf:skillCompetency>

</foaf:Person>

Has anyone else been looking at this kind of referee approach?

-- Ian <iand at i...>

[1] http://hr-xml.org