[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Skills

Eric Vitiello Jr. eric at p...
Thu Dec 19 14:27:36 UTC 2002

>I'm sure this is not a new idea.

>I've been thinking about profiling skills in FOAF with a twist. The
>traditional CV is a list of employers, academic achievements and
>skills which was born from a lack of communication capability between
>employers, i.e. they have to rely on you telling them what you've done
>because they cannot possibly gather the information themselves.

Check out Jennifer Golbeck's trust :
http://www.mindswap.org/~golbeck/web/trust.shtml

also, my trust schema: http://www.perceive.net/schemas/trust/

Jen's, and my trust schema allows the definition of how much you trust a
persona in a given subject:

Jen's:

<trust:trustsHighlyRe>
<trust:TrustsRegarding>
<trust:trustsPerson rdf:resource="#JibberJim"/>
<trust:trustsOnSubject
rdf:resource="http://dmoz.org/Computers/Data_Formats/Graphics/Vector/SVG/"/>
</trust:TrustsRegarding>
</trust:trustsHighlyRe>

mine:

<trust:trustsHighly>
<Person rdf:about="#JibberJim">
<rdfs:subject
rdf:resource="http://dmoz.org/Computers/Data_Formats/Graphics/Vector/SVG/"/>
</Person>
</trust:trustsHighly>

I don't advocate one over the other, but Jennifer's does have more
infrastructure around it (a crawler that gathers the data, and a bot in the
#foaf and #mindswap channels on irc.openprojects.net... so I'd have to lean
a bit towards her description method.

I think her schema is probably exactly what you're looking for.

--Eric