[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Skills

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at h...
Thu Dec 19 16:20:47 UTC 2002

> It just occurred to me that I can't expect friends and employers to
> know my entire skillset. Perhaps I should declare my skills and allow
> others to declare how they rate me on each skill.

Does Advogato have some research done in this area?

We get into a very tricky area when we start talking about rating others. I'd
wonder if steering more towards positive group forming concepts might be a
better idea? Foaf for little league or other community related activities.

Doing job skills does seem like a fine idea but fraught with a whole bunch of
issues about insecurities, jealousies and just plain ugly human nature hassles.
They're out there and they can't be avoided but I'd hope to avoid something cool
like Foaf being seen as a HR weapon used against people. The last thing we need
is another way to statistically fold, spindle and mutliate [1] us as just
"career drones".

-Bill Kearney

[1] as seen on old c1960's IBM punch cards