Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names

jamescarlyle <jamescarlyle at t...> jamescarlyle at t...
Sun Dec 22 11:29:10 UTC 2002

Danny,

Ian Davis and I used the Getty Thesaurus at Calaba and we have a fair
bit of experience of working with it's idiosyncrasies. We were
disambiguating place names in hierarchical web sites, looking for
e.g. London in South Africa, and classifying pages accordingly.

TGN is available in a machine readable format, from which can be
generated. But the license is expensive (was $10K for commercial
usage) and the licensing terms disallow the republishing of the
thesaurus in a verbatim form - i.e. it's okay to use it for internal
disambiguation, but not okay to publish in RDF through a web
interface like xmlns/wordnet.

It's pretty complete (250K place names worldwide?) but for one
country [1] we know about, annoying in it's accuracy, which can be
counter-intuitive.

James
www.takepart.com
[1] I think of Leeds being in Yorkshire, being in the U.K. But TGN
thinks that Leeds is a unitary authority and is a peer of Yorkshire,
both being children of the U.K.