[rdfweb-dev] Re: Ecademy FOAF

James Carlyle james.carlyle at t...
Mon Dec 23 16:49:39 UTC 2002

Andrew

> First, don't we need a scalable way to search FOAF-space? Would that
> be Google (or some future RDF-aware Google)? Or are we all going to
> be running FOAF crawlers and copying a subset of the web to our
> machines?

There will be several ways to approach this. One possibility is one or more
centralised spiders and indexers, such as Google.

But I believe that alternative solutions, such as a peer 2 peer search
model, may be more effective. And most searches that people will undertake
will centre on themselves, either as the source of the human network or the
destination. If I was running a crawler, I might want the crawler to go up
to 3 links away from me and then stop - for many applications (such as
"introduce me to someone who also likes kitesurfing") this will be enough.

The idea of a global index of FOAF users may not be as important as a global
index of HTML documents.

James
www.takepart.com/weblog