[rdfweb-dev] Ecademy FOAF

Steven Livingstone ntw_uk at h...
Tue Dec 31 09:07:14 UTC 2002

First, yes, I agree with you - they don't fully understand what FOAF is/does
which is maybe a marketing thing.

However, there was a couple of valid points. The first was that it allows
access to all of the contacts (or friends) you had in your network, which
isn't easily accessible via the Ecademy web site ( i think you need to be a
paid member to get them). On top of this, the pages weren't under any
authenticaion (yes, i tried). So i could just specifiy the URL and get back
the FOAF for any given user. I don't know that any of the users complaining
actually knew that, but that may have been a valid argument, given that you
can't get this kind of information simply from their web page (which is
freely accessible).

FOAF is a cool idea, so i guess all it needs is some security restrictions
on it - maybe as optional. Probably this could be more of an implementation
issue (that's certainly the esasiest option), but maybe there could be some
guidance in FOAF as how to protect the data you have. "these can be public",
"these are private", encrypt this... etc... Delineation is important too!

Just some ideas based on the freeback I saw on ecademy.

Cheers,
Steven