[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: Names in FoaF

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Sat Apr 19 16:18:19 UTC 2003

"Morten Frederiksen" <mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk>

>Hi all,
>
>I've put together a proposal [1] for expressing names in the FoaF
>vocabulary, in response to Bugzilla issue #7 [2].

>I'd like for a discussion of the issue to take place on this list, but at
>some point I'll probably create a copy of the proposal on a Wiki for the
>next revision(s) - until some sort of consensus has been reached, or
>the almighty FoaF'ers deems it passable...

foafnaut's current behaviour is to display foaf:name for names of things,
and to display, foaf:nick, or foaf:givenName if nick isn't available on the
aprons.

I like this approach, as you say foaf:name is purely for display purposes,
and foaf:nick/givenName as a short display name.  I'm very much against
having middleName as a givenName as a substitute for middleName (which
doesn't exist) my middle name, is definately neither a familyName (derived
from my family) nor is it a givenName (a name that I would respond to) it's
simply part of my name.

I personally would like to leave foaf with simply foaf:name, and foaf:nick -
and leave others to a more sophisticated naming vocab, which is tailored
more to the geneological.  My belief is that foaf namespace is best left
with what can be modelled simply and without contention, names are not that.

Incidently, my crawls stats can be found at:

(they're probably low, I've not scuttered in a while, and last time I did
rdfweb was down)

Jim.