[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: Names in FoaF

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sun Apr 27 12:28:10 UTC 2003

"Jim Ley" <jim at jibbering.com> wrote:
>>I'd be happy to accept evidence to the contrary, but I have seen nothing to
>>indicate that there, in any western countries, is a difference between a
>>given name and a middle name, apart from their positions.
>I disagree, they're part of the name, but their importance is different, and
>depends on the position, (although of course there's no way to distinguish
>which is more important, I know many people who go by their middle name at
>all times.)
That's fine, but then express that through foaf:name. The point of the
foaf:sortName property is to provide for sorting and searching by name
parts.

>It depends what you mean by givenName I think, it's usage as far as I can
>see is in taking it as a name you would respond to, for most people that's
>only 1 name, so multiple givenNames aren't helpful.
"givenName" implies just that, a name that is given. It's not
"firstName" or "middleName", bot of which indicate a position which is
not relevant when part of an ordered sequence.

Regards,
Morten Frederiksen
---
"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought."