[rdfweb-dev] Proposal: Names in FoaF

Joe Tennis rdfweb at joe10.com
Mon Apr 28 15:02:17 UTC 2003

I've been pondering this one myself, and it seems that one need look
no further than the name of the ontology for the answer: Friend of a
Friend.  Effort may well be better spent refining the relationships
between friends than on who one is. That should be globally available
in some other RDF Identity document.

In the sense of data abstraction and  normalization, it seems an odd
place to store personal Identity data. Granted, this may place a
burden on the newcomer who just wants to FOAF and move on with their
life; that is, doesn't care to have a zillion RDF files floating all
over the place. In this case you'd probably import the namespace and
write the elements from the other spec in the FOAF doc.

I've also been having trouble getting my head around why the <person>
element (when referring to a friend) has so much data (name and
email, that is), unless that's meant to be
<This is what I call him/her>, and <the email I use for him/her>
Though authoritative response can be found here: <seeAlso xxxxxx> Why
isn't it just:

<friend>
<seeAlso-URL_of_friends_FOAF.rdf>
</friend>

later,
/Joe

At 10:01 AM -0700 4/27/03, Christopher Abiad wrote:
>Forgive me if this is a hugely ignorant comment, but
>hasn't the problem of solving how to represent names
>in a standard way already been solved?
>
>It strikes me that Palm Address Book, Ximian
>Evolution, and many others seem to handle name entry
>in a clean, standardized way.  Why is the vCard spec's
>definition of a name not suitable for FOAF?
>
>http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Data_Formats/Document/Contact/vCard/
>
>--
>Christopher Abiad <chris at ambientvector.com>
>Founder, ambientVector

Joe Tennis
Information Design Honcho
Joe 10 Group
2430 5th Street
Studio L
Berkeley, CA 94710
510-649-1744
joe at joe10.com
http://www.joe10.com?cpn=sig
Interaction Design | Information Architecture | Usability Consulting
for Web, Wireless and Interactive Media