[rdfweb-dev] partly anonymous web communities

Bernhard A. M. Seefeld seefeld at gna.ch
Wed Jul 2 14:05:34 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm quite new to FOAF and I would like to ask the list wether this is a
good practice or not:

Given a web-based community of anonymous profiles with descriptions and
pictures, where each user (each profile) can list friends on this site.
This looks like great data to publish as FOAF.

The issue is that this community has grown as an anonymous system. I do
have the user's email address, but it isn't public. FOAF seems to use
foaf:mbox as the primary way of identifying people. Using the sha1sum
version of the address is no solution as someone could still guess
email addresses and then verify that a particular profile corresponds
to a particular real person. Thus, I would have to generate some pseudo
mailboxes' sha1sum, like username at site.com, even though mail sent to
these addresses would never arrive (but nobody would send email there
as nobody would know the actual addresses used to generate the sha1sum).

Publishing this community in this mode would be just an island in
foafspace. But I would allow some users the give up anonymity on a
voluntary basis and then publish both sha1sums, the real addresses' and
fake addresses'. This would establish some links to the real foafspace.
And of course, people with a FOAF file outside the community could just
add this sha1sum and thus tell the foafspiders that he/she is the same
person as that previously anonymous profile over there.

There are a few things I feel a little bit uneasy about:

This whole "fake-email to generate a unique sha1sum" method seems a
little awkward. Essentially this would defined the foaf:mbox_sha1sum
element as a general guid, rather disconnected from the notion of email
addresses.

This would generate a large number of FOAF profiles of real people
without a easy way to find the email address (the community allows to
contact those people through a web interface though, so I don't see
much problems here).

Some people in this community would have a foaf profile outside and
would appear as dupes until they give up anonymity in this community
(very rare now, but that might change someday?).

So what do you think? Would this practice be a good way to populate the
foafspace or not? What conditions should a web community fulfill to
participate in this way?
(the site I'm thinking of would be just a few 1'000 profiles (the
others are not connected), but others might add much more profiles in
the same way)

    Best Regards,
       Bernhard Seefeld

-----