[rdfweb-dev] partly anonymous web communities

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Thu Jul 3 18:13:39 UTC 2003

I'd say : bring 'em on in!

It's an interesting case. I think both the people involved and the FOAF
world would benefit.

Something like the 'nick' should be enough on the human side. On the machine
side, I'd suggest creating an id from whatever your system uses for unique
IDs, and include these as a property like foaf:aimChatID etc. People are
already identified within FOAF in a fashion that is anonymous on the web : a
foaf:Person doesn't (ever?) have a URI. I think it's absolutely consistent
to allow people to be part of FOAF networks without their human-world
identifiers being visible, as long as they can be uniquely identified
somehow. The property could be defined in your own namespace, though I
wonder if there's a need for a general miscID or something in FOAF itself?

Cheers,
Danny.