[rdfweb-dev] Labelling stability of FOAF vocabulary properties

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Wed Jul 9 22:23:41 UTC 2003

Hi Leigh,

Having just been talking to you about this, I was inspired to  ship a
draft namespace on this that merges my original design with your
suggestions below.

It should have semweb applicability way beyond FOAF, so I'm doing it
with a dayjob hat on, see http://www.w3.org/2003/06/sw-vocab-status/ns

the main property is 'vs:term_status', defined as:

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="term_status">
  <rdfs:label>term status</rdfs:label>
    <rdfs:comment>the status of a vocabulary term, one of
    'stable','unstable','testing'.</rdfs:comment>
      <vs:term_status>unstable</vs:term_status>
</rdf:Property>

Never let it be said that RDF people can resist an opportunity for
cutesy self-reference! This definition is the crux of the schema (I've
gone with a literal-valued property as you suggest, rather than using an
RDF class). The schema at http://www.w3.org/2003/06/sw-vocab-status/ns
includes an example of its own use, in this case we state that the
term_status property is 'unstable' (using the unstable term_status
property to do so).

The other properties I have included are 'moreinfo' and 'userdocs',
which nearly map to your 'issues' and 'examples'. In practice I would
expect it likely for the document at the namespace to point off to a hub
document, eg. a wiki page, using 'issues', and other RDF written
elsewhere would keep track of user oriented documentation (examples
etc). Since editing the ns doc can be costly, so the ns is unlikely to
offer a complete catalogue of all relevant user documentation.

A fancier version of this vocab might try to model more explicitly the
states a term can be in, and the email announcement messages which
document their transitions (w.r.t. some user community). For now, I
think we can go a long way with this very simple vocab.

This should be an interesting exercise. I invite rdfweb-dev listmembers
to all have a think about the status of various properties in the
FOAF namespace. I'm not sure how to gather the data; let's try it using
Wiki rather than email. http://rdfweb.org/topic/FoafVocab has a
== Vocab Status Documentation Experiment == section now, although there
is work to do in figuring out how to use such a shared space.

A more ambitious version of this approach is written up at
http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/06/process/index.html though I think for
now we have our work cut out trying to explain what 'stable' etc might
mean.

cheers,

Dan

* Leigh Dodds <ldodds at ingenta.com> [2003-06-27 16:00+0100]