[rdfweb-dev] FOAF contradictions

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Fri Jul 11 10:44:42 UTC 2003

Today I wrote in the Wiki rather than the weblog, following up an
IRC conversation with Masaka. My writeup takes an indirect approach to
answering the question, which is familiar from many RDF discussions.

This is basically the faq about RDF 'validation' and about what
'range' and 'domain' in an RDF schema mean. I tried to write it up in
terms of looking at the different sorts of checking one might do against
a FOAF document -- it's surface RDF syntax, its actual truth as a
description, and (finally) whether it contradicts itself. I tried to
walk through an example of a contradictory FOAF sample, to show how the
machine definitions for the FOAF vocabulary establishes the contradiction.

It's in the wiki so tweakable. Since IRC logs are down I wanted to
capture the (partial) explanation somewhere for future refinement.

[[
Q: If I can say what I like in FOAF file, even say nothing, and if I can
use any semantic web vocabularies at all, all mixed together, how can we
ever know if a FOAF file is 'wrong' (broken, in error)?

A: There are a few different answers here...
[...]
]] -> http://rdfweb.org/topic/FoafContradictions