[rdfweb-dev] Three syncrhonization techniques

Marc Canter marc at broadbandmechanics.com
Mon Jul 14 22:12:38 UTC 2003

Here's what I've been thinking could be the three ways to keep FOAF
files in sync between a centralized service (like FOAFster) and a
decentralized approach - where everyone had possession of their own FOAF
file.

1.	Opt-in

In this first scenario, an end-user comes to the FOAFster environment
with a 'kosher' FOAF file.  By kosher I mean it adheres to the current
'master' version of FOAF that exists (somewhere in FOAF we can I assume
- maintained by the FOAF gods.)

The end-user 'seeds' the system with their own FOAF file - allowing it
to now be intermeshed with the rest of the FOAF-based social network.
When the end-user deposits their original FOAF file, they also signidfy
an ftp account, where they'd like updates to be sent.  As each
additional 'friend' or 'friend of a friend', etc. gets added to the
end-user file, it is mirrors back to the outside ftp location.

2.	Opt-out

In this scenario the system initially creates the end-user's FOAF file.
Its master is maintained within our centralized database until the
end-user chooses to 'Opt-out'.  At that point - the FOAF file is
transferred to the end-user's designating ftp location - and a mirroring
relationship is set up.  Any changes made to the end-user's FOAF file -
gets sent to our system.

3.	Manual

The tried and true manual method has the end-user with two separate FOAF
files.  The internal version of the FOAF file - within the social
network of FOAFster - keeps in sync with the social network.  An
external FOAF end-user can grab - at any time - a copy of their internal
file - and choose to do what they wish with it.  Most likely they'd use
it to bridge or gateway their external 'experiments', developments,
innovative new ideas and features, etc. - into this stand alone FOAFster
community.

Since everyone is using FOAF - these new developments can be very easily
encompassed into the social network.

So now the question comes up - how's it going on defining and setting up
a  system to maintain the 'master' version of FOAF - so as new
extensions come into being - we all know where to reference that spec?

- Marc Canter

415-296-9401