[rdfweb-dev] Re: [syndication] seeAlso

Andy Powell a.powell at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Jul 23 11:00:41 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Dan Brickley wrote:

> * Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> [2003-07-23 08:00+0100]
> > One of the powerful ideas in FOAF is the widespread use of rdfs:seeAlso
> >
> > Could this be usefully applied in RSS?
>
> It can be used in any RDF-based format whenever you've mentioned
> something and want to reference more (typically machine-processable, RDF)
> info about it elsewhere in the Web.

I assume that the semantics of seeAlso are pretty loose - i.e. you can use
it to point to anything, some more RDF, some XML, an HTML page, a PDF file
or whatever?  I.e. in some cases you are getting something
machine-readable, in other cases you aren't.

I have never understood why, in a semantically rich environment like RDF,
one would want to use such semantically fuzzy properties.  Why not use a
more precise property like 'additionalRDF' (a sub-property of seeAlso) if
that is what you mean?

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell       +44 1225 383933