[rdfweb-dev] Redundant tags and tidying the foaf set

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Thu Jul 24 19:43:27 UTC 2003

On Thursday 24 July 2003 16:43, Julian Bond wrote:
> Some of my thoughts on tidying the set of foaf tags.
> - There's a bunch of "joke" tags. We should spin them out into their own
> namespace. (jokeFOAF:) eg dnaChecksum, geekcode, myersBriggs
The first is obviously a joke, the second can probably be seen as something
out-of-date, but the last one could be interesting for those who care about
it. Whether it really "belongs" in FoaF is another question, that I'll leave
for danbri to answer.

> - Name seems to be problematic. Do we really need all of name, nick,
> givenname, surname, family_name, firstName, title. I'd suggest reducing
> these to name, title, firstName, lastName and spinning nick out into an
> IRC namespace
Indeed, names are problematic...

I wrote a piece [1] (now at [2]) on this a few months ago, but we couldn't
reach a decision based on that, so the "problem" is up for grabs!

(My updated suggestion would be to get rid of anything but foaf:name and
foaf:nick, and leave the rest to somebody else...)

> - Webpage and IM Chat look to me like primitives that have multiple
> types. Rather than thisWebpage and thatWebpage, shouldn't it be webpage
> type=""? and instead of thisIMChat and thatIMchat, <im service=""
> rdf:resource="URI">
'tis not the RDF way, which is triples, not quadruples.

Issues like this has been covered elsewhere [3] [4].

> - Just as with webpage, so with project and image. There's overlap in
> currentProject, pastProject, fundedby and img, logo, thumbnail,
> depiction, depicts
Hmm, apart from img and depiction, I don't see any overlap, and the potential
overlap between those two is covered on the FoaFVocab wiki page [5].

> - People have locations. I'm still trying to find a reasonable vocab for
> including an address.
Did you see the pointers [6] I sent a few days ago (which didn't include
Vcard, for some reason)?

> - Looking at the names, there's no consistency in capitalization.
> There's capitalized, lower case, run together, separated by _,
> camelcase. Should be easy to fix.
Agree, I'd like a cleanup there as well, prefering camelCase over
underscores...

[1] http://www.wasab.dk/morten/2003/04/foaf-names-proposal-1.html
[2] http://rdfweb.org/topic/NamesInFoaf