[rdfweb-dev] Describing IRC networks with RDF or XML

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Tue Jun 17 11:25:42 UTC 2003

For James: I saw your diary entry about an XML format for IRC servers.
I'm sending it to the attention of the FOAF community who are interested
in many ways of marking up data like this.  Hopefully there may be some
people here willing to comment on your draft format.

To rdfweb-dev:

Check out the stuff about an XML format for specifying an IRC network at
http://www.advogato.org/person/Jimbob/diary.html?start=7

Don't know about you, but just looking at the first draft it screamed at
me that this is something that could be modelled nicely in RDF.  It ties
in well with the fact this community uses IRC servers a lot.

Using RDF would allow channels to tie themselves into servers without a
central registry.  For instance, you could click on a channel
description file from a web page and have your IRC client configure it
in your settings.

At the bare minimum it would be excellent to see this description format
use irc:// URIs for describing servers and channels, it's what it's
there for, after all.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

--
Edd