[rdfweb-dev] Gallery co-depiction extraction

Edd Dumbill edd at usefulinc.com
Sat Jun 21 08:55:45 UTC 2003

Some time ago I wrote a hack to extract co-depiction information from
captions in the popular "Gallery", http://gallery.menalto.com/, on-line
photo system.

It used foafbot's knowledge of nicks and names, and scraped these out of
captions.  One such scraped file is at
http://starway.heddley.com/~edmundd/hawaii.rdf

The source code is at
http://svn.usefulinc.com/svn/repos/trunk/foafbot/extras/ but no longer
works with the new FOAFbot.  I may fix, but it's unlikely, as Gallery
has changed its album format, which brings me to...

The very latest version of Gallery supports a custom properties feature
where you can create arbitrary properties for each photo.  Co-depiction
data seems an obvious thing to store in here.

I plan sometime to experiment with reviving my old software noted above
to do this: but also it struck me this would be an excellent potential
backend for Matt Biddulph and Libby Miller's various image annotation
hacks.  See http://www.hackdiary.com/archives/000015.html and
http://swordfish.rdfweb.org/discovery/2003/06/codepictjs/

--
Edd