[rdfweb-dev] Describing FOAF using OWL: enumerating allowed

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sun Jun 22 16:04:03 UTC 2003

Hi there,

Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> wrote:
>My preference is for literal values because I want to minimise the
>verbosity, and only use URIs where there's a clear gain, eg. from data
>merging.
Agreed, there's no reason to make it more complicated than absolute
necessary, from a usage point of view.

One good reason for using URIs to define types is to be able to make
general statements about the types, such as textual descriptions of
what it means to be an person with a myersBriggs of ENTP.

However, OWL steps in the for rescue here, making it possible to make
these statements even when using literals (I think this should be
the correct syntax, please correct me if not):

<owl:Class>
	<rdfs:label>ENTP-person</rdfs:label>
	<rdfs:comment>...</rdfs:comment>
	<rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&foaf;Person"/>
	<rdfs:subClassOf>
		<owl:Restriction>
			<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="&foaf;myersBriggs"/>
			<owl:hasValue rdf:datatype="&xsd;string">ENTP</owl:hasValue>
		</owl:Restriction>
	</rdfs:subClassOf>
</owl:Class>

This (hopefully) states, that a foaf:Person that has a foaf:myersBriggs
of "ENTP" is a member of the class labeled "ENTP-person", which could be
given an ID/URI and/or have more statements made about it, statements
that would then apply to the foaf:Person in question.

>Hmm side-thought: for properties like 'schoolHomepage', we could have a
>Javascript bookmarklet in toolbar which could take you off to a
>'describe your relationship to the organisation whose homepage this is'
>form in the foaf-a-matic vein. Or for that matter, into FOAF aggregators,
>so you could, for a given page, search FOAF data for people who work there,
>study there, etc.
Yeah, I've thought of some other bookmarklets that could be invoked on
a page with a reference to a FOAF file, such as "add this person as
someone I know to my FOAF file" or "find me people I know that know
this person".

Also, would it be possible to make a (portable!, it seems not all
bookmarklets are portable?) context sensitive menu bookmarklet, that
would let you select between other bookmarklets that were relevant to
the pointers in the current page? Jim?

Regards,

Morten Frederiksen
---