[rdfweb-dev] XSLTs for FOAF, Spring v1.3.1 and plans for FOAF

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Fri Jun 27 09:58:04 UTC 2003

> "Danny Ayers" <danny666 at virgilio.it> wrote:
> >It's a tricky area - seems quite a lot of the XML-ers don't even like the
> >idea of namespaces. There's some interesting stuff that might be worth
> >looking at in the context of FOAF coming up over on Sam Ruby's
> RSS-successor
> >Wiki [1], and although Norm might slap my wrist for this I
> reckon it's worth
> >hoping at least that any new format is interoperable with FOAF
> on a semantic
> >level [2].

> *sound of crossing fingers*

heh

> >As a fyi, in IdeaGraph I've been using XSLT to go the other way,
> to get RDF
> >from first RSS 2.0 and now OPML (cough!) from blogrolls. FOAF itself is
> >easy - I'm using Jena ;-). Morten's done some rather sophisticated
> >stylesheets for these [3], [4], and Sjoerd Visscher [5] has an
> RSS->RDF one
> >too. By the time I'd heard of Morten's I'd already hacked a
> simple OPML->OCS
> >one myself [6] (have to use this anyway, Morten's are GPL'ed).
> Depending on the usage, I'd probably be happy to license a copy to you
> and your project on another license if you'd like.

Thanks Morten. I don't know whether I'll need them yet - so far the simple
bits I've been using have been adequate, but I'll certainly let you know if
more is needed. Incidentally, it occurred to me since that in a case like
this the GPL probably isn't really an issue anyway - presumably it would be
ok for me to say "download X from *here* and save to *here*", which is all
that would be needed for a stylesheet, no compile-in needed.

Thanks again,
Danny.