[rdfweb-dev] Names In FOAF

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Wed Apr 6 14:41:01 UTC 2005

I've been thinking about names in FOAF. There's an issue[1] in the
tracker to rationalise the properties here and Morten has made a
concrete proposal[2]. It's a tricky area to model because of the variety
and complexity of names in various cultures.

I've made an alternate suggestion[3], which is to forego any kind of
structural modelling and tackle it from a mode of address angle. I
propose to drop everything but foaf:name (which is well established) and
  add four new properties:

familiarName - the name used in familiar situations by friends, e.g. Ian

informalName - the name used when referred to in informal situations,
e.g. Ian Davis

formalName - the name used when referred to in formal situations, e.g.
Mr. Davis

fullName - the full name as expected to be used on an identifying
document e.g. Mr Ian Robert Davis

I think this approach would fit better with the social nature of FOAF.

Ian

[1] http://rdfweb.org/topic/NameVocabIssue
[2] http://rdfweb.org/topic/NamesInFoaf
[3] http://rdfweb.org/topic/NamesInFoafAlternate