[rdfweb-dev] Names In FOAF

Joshua Tauberer tauberer at for.net
Wed Apr 6 16:01:16 UTC 2005

Bob Aman wrote:
> The trend is towards entering less data and then inferring any
> additional needed information from context, not exhaustively
> describing everything.

The issue with entering less data, in this case, is that less
information is recoverable.  For instance, from Ian's predicates you
can't get back just the last name of a person.  That makes sense from
the lowest-common-denominator approach to the problem since not everyone
has a 'last name', but I want to be able to use people's last names, if
they have one.

Maybe in addition to simplifying names in FOAF, there needs to be a
separate vocabulary for describing names in detail.

--
- Joshua Tauberer

http://taubz.for.net

** Nothing Unreal Exists **