[rdfweb-dev] Names In FOAF

Jonathan Greensted jonathan.greensted at sentient.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 21:46:58 UTC 2005

Hi Dan & co

I am interested in the project and I do support bright people but I don't
support people wasting their time in mental masturbation.

I was really, really excited about the Semantic Web and RDF but quickly
realised that the "file format" is irrelevant since the intelligence lives
in the software which processes the data not the data format.

Surely RDF is like CSV or XML.   Do we really care?

The software needs to understand the format regardless on how it is
expressed so why do we care so much about the semantics?

If I write "Jonathan is a tosser" you understand what I mean but it's not
RDF, XML or CSV.  If you cared about the "is a tosser" vocab you would code
that explicitly.

I love the people on this list, you have all demonstrated you immense
intelligence but I feel you are wasting your time.

Have you looked at how the WS-* people are exchanging data?  Where does RDF
feature in this?

Dead, dead, dead.  Next idea?  Move on and do something which really changes
the world.

J.

PS. If you are even slightly offended by the above I apologies.
PSS. If RDF/FOAF works for you great. The format is perfectly valid (or
flawed) but so is vCard etc.