[rdfweb-dev] FOAF without email/sha?

Hendy Irawan gauldong at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:49:28 UTC 2005

Hi Greg!

> Jean Paul Sartre can be identified by
> http://historical-id.info/person/4105
Hey... I didn't expect anyone to actually look him up (was he really
that famous?) but that's very nice :-)

> There's no good interface for finding people in the historical id data,
> and it only applies to famous-ish people, but the rdf is available from
> http://www.historical-id.info/, and might be useful to you.
Cool!

But, if the person being foaf-ed isn't famous, still lives now, and
wants to be foaf-ed but doesn't have an e-mail account, is this still
possible? I mean, we could craft a FOAF RDF file for this guy (perhaps
my mother) but then how do I refer to her? I couldn't use an sha1mbox
because she doesn't have an e-mail (and doesn't want to have one, and
I don't want to create a fake e-mail account for that purpose, because
that won't make any sense). All I have is maybe a physical URI to the
FOAF RDF itself, but an URI doesn't last a lifetime and I don't really
want to refer to a URI but to a person....

Is there really a way to express this "refer to a specific person" in
FOAF other than by using explicit URI/e-mail/hashed e-mail?

Maybe like, I have an e-mail that's associated with a FOAF. My friend
knows me. And he also knows my mother. He would want to list my mother
as his friend by saying "I know the mother of Hendy, and Hendy is
identified by <my sha1mbox>, but I don't know Hendy's mother's ID". Is
this expressable in FOAF?

Thanks for all the help..... I'm currently running an Indonesian
community site (Friendster-ish) at http://www.gauldong.net/ It
currently has 2000 members since its launch about half a year ago. I'm
trying to add automatic FOAF information for all our members... Not
sure if that'd be useful, but sure is kinda' cool... and I bet nobody
else in Indonesia has done it before. ;-)
--
Hendy Irawan - http://dev.gauldong.net - GaulDong Developer Center