[rdfweb-dev] FOAF Meeting

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Wed Apr 20 10:07:23 UTC 2005

* Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> [2005-04-18 18:34-0400]
> mortenf reminded me today that there is a designated FOAF monthly
> meeting this Wednesday, April 20th, at 17:00Z. Note that this is one
> hour later than usual, due to daylight savings time: it is 18:00 BST,
> and 13:00 EDT. The meeting will last approximately 60-90 minutes (or
> until whenever we get bored).

As discussed in IRC, I'll be on a jet plane over the atlantic at
that time, so won't be able to join you.

>  -- Issues with FOAF specification since last meeting

Now the spec generator script is functional again, see
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/  "FOAF Vocabulary Specification
Namespace Document 3 April 2005 - (Back In Business Edition)" it's
time to start cranking in some changes.

One thing I would like to add, but hasn't had much discussion lately,
is a named inverse of foaf:primaryTopic; something like
foaf:isPrimaryTopicOf, ie. that relates a thing to a page that
is mainly about it. It would be be an IFP, and would greatly assist
people who want to use things like Wikipedia pages when indirectly
identifying things to describe in FOAF/RDF. Thoughts on that (if you
have time in the meeting) would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to draw all your attention to some ongoing works at
W3C, specifically:

 - new version of the SPARQL spec published today;
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-sparql-query-20050419/
  ...with lots of interesting FOAF examples. Also recently:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-dawg-uc-20050325/ use cases spec.

 - http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/#FreqLinks1
   SW Best Practices Task Force works-in-progress (full Working Drafts
   to follow soon I hope), especially SKOS. SKOS is imho *very*
   important for FOAF and for RDF, particularly in regard to topic
   classification and integration with blogging and tagging systems.
   Do take a look at the Editor's WD at
   http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/guide/

Re Website, I had a meeting w/ Nicole last week, and we've got something
of a plan for going live in the v near future...

Finally, it isn't too late to http://dc2005.uc3m.es/ ... the Dublin Core
Workshop in Madrid, 12-15 Sept. I hope to arrange a SW side-gathering of
some kind, in the FOAF-meet tradition. Papers in Spanish are also
welcomed, I believe.

Finally finally, in other news: I'll from May 1 be taking some
time off from W3C work to work on some personal projects,
(including FOAF :), and travel a bit. So keep those Action Items piling
up and I'll get to them in May! I'll be back W3C'ing later in the year,
how long I take off is something I'm currently figuring out.

cheers,

Dan