[foaf-dev] PROPOSAL: Deprecate membershipClass, add memberOf

Ron Alford ronwalf at volus.net
Fri May 25 16:10:56 BST 2007

I think I've mentioned the problems with membershipClass before with the
standard OWL mechanisms.  Thus, I'll be rather informal.

I propose
1) Deprecating foaf:membershipClass
2) Creating a foaf:memberOf owl:inverseOf foaf:member.

Group member ship can be handled in a standard way in OWL using
hasValue, and any property that is the inverse of foaf:member.
For example, take
  <#MyGroup> foaf:membershipClass <#MyGroupMember>.

This can be rewritten as
  <#MyGroupMember> rdfs:subClassOf
     [ a owl:Restriction;
       owl:onProperty foaf:memberOf;
       owl:hasValue <#MyGroup> ].

Any reasoning system that can handle nominals should be able to handle
this.  Step 2 is not strictly necessary, since any inverse of
foaf:member or its sub properties would do, but it would be nice as a
convenience.

-Ron