[foaf-dev] foaf:mbox but not IFP?

Alexandre Passant alex at passant.org
Fri Jan 4 07:44:18 GMT 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 5:16 AM, Dave Brondsema <dave at brondsema.net> wrote:

> What should I use instead of foaf:mbox when the property should NOT be
> an Inverse Functional Property?  Example: I'm starting an address book
> (and more) webapp for my family and my Aunt and Uncle both use the same
> email address.
>
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_mbox says "Note that there are many
> mailboxes (eg. shared ones) which are not the foaf:mbox of anyone" but
> it doesn't say what they should be.

Why not using it for a foaf:Group which includes your Aunt and Uncle ?
So, the mbox will be an IFP for a group consisting of both of them.
It will be OK, since the domain of this property is a foaf:Agent, not
a foaf:Person, unless "ie. an Internet mailbox associated with exactly
one owner, the first owner of this mailbox." means that the owner
should be only a single person ( but in that case the domain should be
changed in the specs).
IMHO, using a group makes sense.

Best,

Alex.