[foaf-dev] for more information please log in

Dan Brickley danbri at danbri.org
Sun Jan 13 19:57:16 GMT 2008

+cc timbl

Story Henry wrote:
> If a foaf file is to return different representations depending on the
> authentication level of the person looking at it, there needs to be some
> way for the foaf file to say that. Something like: for a larger view you
> may want to log in there: http://...
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Is this FOAF specific? Or just a general thing with authenticated views
of Web sites.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danbri/ is my Flickr photostream (and
hopefully soon an :openid for me too). When I'm authenticated it offers
me more information than you'll see (and more action possibilities).
Some of that extra info might be linked versus embedded, some might be
in HTML (or RDFa or microformat).

Relatedly I was discussing with TimBL a bit lately the issue of how
different the representations of a document can get, before you really
ought to be using different URIs. This came out of practical questions
around Tabulator behaviour, since Tabulator rigs your browser to say
"hey, gimme the RDF version", meaning you miss out on seeing HTML
documents that are content-negotiated with RDF variants. Tim argued that
the HTML and RDF ought to be available from different URIs. Perhaps
there's some common 'best practice' here re authenticated views of pages
too. Or as you suggest, just need for a bit of vocab to describe the
various deployment idioms that are already out there.

cheers,

Dan

--
[ :openid <http://danbri.org/>; :weblog <http://danbri.org/words/> ]