[foaf-dev] for more information please log in

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Mon Jan 14 10:46:56 GMT 2008

You could even put two of your ideas together.

The pubkeys counter-signed by Henry of his friends could contain the bloom filter, representing membership in a particular friend/group list. The user acting as FOAF subject would then assert that signed publickey (by showing possession of the private key) and also communicate the bloom filter (in the same signing block as the publickey) when seeking authentication EITHER against the webserver hosting Henry's FOAF file OR webservers hosting files of Henrys friends which are willing to rely on Henry's management of both pubkeys and groups.

In security doctrine, the assertion becomes a capability. As with all capabilities, they are hard to revoke. In this friend-focused model scenario, revocation really may not be much of an issue.  As during the adoption of SSL and PKI, noone actually needed revocation until military applications of SSL came to the scene- requiring individual accountability controls. In a social networking scene, the security doctrine is presumably not aiming at accountability - but privacy expectation assertion making (that friends will abide by, for the most part).