[foaf-dev] Time to make the foaf classes relate to Dublin Core classes?

Mikael Nilsson mikael at nilsson.name
Wed Jan 23 12:51:07 GMT 2008

On ons, 2008-01-23 at 12:24 +0000, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Dan,

> After all, it is clear and undeniable that the FOAF specification is a
> creative work of yours. It is also undeniable that this specification
> describes a class, foaf:Person, which contains all people. But do you
> really want to claim that you are the creator of the class of all
> people?

While I don't deny the need for metadata about the produced documents, I
tend to agree with Dan here. RDF Model Theory [1] makes a clear and
explicit distinction between the class and the set it represents, the
"extension" of the class - they are two different entities.

This is relevant in many practical contexts and is reflected in the very
existence of owl:equivalentClass (why does this property exist if not
because of the above?).

For example, DCMI did not define the set of Library of congress Subject
headings - but it did define the class dcterms:LCSH to refer to them,
and I believe it is useful to keep that distinction.

/Mikael

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#technote