[foaf-dev] Re: [expertfinder-dev] provisional attributes/elements

Axel Polleres axel.polleres at deri.org
Thu Jan 24 16:00:12 GMT 2008

sorry, pressed the send button too quickly...

paola.dimaio at gmail.com wrote:
> I have looked for the existing draft of proposed vocabulary terms for
> expertise, but not found
> any yet, can someone point me?
>
> Below a very draft schema that I am thinking of at the moment
> I would like to have 10 properties for expertise, at the moment I only got eight
> This schema is provisional, and indicative
>
> I d like to have it up on an web interface soon, please let me have
> suggestions ideas
> we can always change it later
>
> I would suggest that the exact syntax defintion and vocabolary choice
> for each of the
> element options (select from menu) is derived f/ mapped to related
> ontologies and
> vocabulary efforts where available (education metadata etc)
>
> could people please kindly point me or update the draft master file here
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/foafx/web/foafx-v-001
>

> DRAFT FOAFX V.01
>
> CREATE FOAFX PROFILE: select
>
> [WWW]foaf:Person *
>  [WWW]foaf:Organization *
>  [WWW]foaf:Group
>

> 1) PERSONAL DETAILS
> 4.1.1. Identifier//HOW LONG SHOULD THE IDENTIFIER BE?
> A scheme, numeric or alphabetic, or a combination of the two, used to
> identify unambiguously a specific individual
> agent. IT CAN BE THE FIRST 3 LETTERS OF EACH ATTRIBUTES
> THIS WOULD MEAN YOU NEED TO MAKE AT LEAST SOME ATTRIBUTES MANDATORY

Paola, on the Semantic Web, we use URIs to identify things...
Anybody is free to choose a URI for her/himself as long as it is under
his/her control, I'd say.

> 4.1.2 Name
> The name or names by which the person is known, including alternative
> names.//NAME SURNAME MIDDLE NAME INITIALS NICKNAME

foaf:name and if refined needed respective vCard attributes, I'd say.

> 4.1.3 Dates
> May include date of the person's birth and/or death,
> BIRTH
> DEATH
> OTHER DATE (SPECIFY)

That is partially covered in the bio vocab, isn't it?

> 4.1.4 Title
> A word or phrase used to identify the rank, office, nobility, honour,
> etc. of the person./ MS/ MR/ DR/ PROF/ MU/ OTHER

What are the respective attributes in vCard, foaf and doac?
Actually, this raises also the question which are allowed/recomended
values.

> 4.1.5 Affiliation// BLANK TEXT FIELD

no, it should be a URI again, denoting the organisation.

> The name of the organization, institution, company, or other body with
> which the person was or is associated, or by
> whom the person was employed or contracted.
>
> 4.1.6 Location//USE GEOCODES?
> Information about the person's principal area of residence over time.
> Context may be indicated by the use of
> appropriate qualifiers (for example: Lived in Canberra 1991-2005).

foaf:based_near

> 4.1.7 Email/ ALLOW MORE THAN ONE
> Email address or addresses currently assigned to the person at the
> time of the description.

foaf:mbox, but this is indeed restrictive (being invFunc), but again
maybe here vCard props might bve usable.

> 4.1.8 Other Information/AD HOC ELEMENTS
> Any additional significant information about the person that is needed
> to unambiguously identify that person.
>
> EXPERTISE FIELD:  //select from knowledge tree//

We should find some base ontologies, at least for certain kinds of
expertise... this has been discussed in expertfinder since its
beginning... e.g. for computer science the ACM categorization was
suggested, aven wikipedia URIs were mentioned.

> EXPERTISE LEVEL: //provisional: sum all the entries//

how?

> EXPERTISE TYPE (select one or more of: user, provider, teacher)

which exactly?

> LINK TO CV

good, what do doac and resumeRDF already provide there?

more later, gotta do a phone call now.

Axel

> GIVE THE VALUE OF 1 FOR EACH ITEM ENTERED (provisional  ranking) ADD
> ALL THE VALUES TO PROVIDE A RANK (EXPERTISE LEVEL)
>
> 1) EDUCATION
> (SCHOOL 1/
> ENTER TEXT DETAILS /ENTER URL TO FILE/OTHER URL/GIVE A REFERENCE
> SCHOOL  2
> ENTER TEXT DETAILS /ENTER URL TO FILE/OTHER URL/GIVE A REFERENCE
>
> UNIVERSITY
>                  GRADUATE
> ENTER TEXT DETAILS /ENTER URL TO FILE/OTHER URL/GIVE A REFERENCE

.POST GRADUATE

--
Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel at polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .