[foaf-dev] foaf phone and tel URLs

Axel Polleres axel.polleres at deri.org
Wed Jan 30 18:21:01 GMT 2008

I agree that using URI's for telephone numbers is a pain, especially
when mapping from/to other voacabularies...
The problem is:

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .

Especially, we had trouble with this when trying to map from vCard
to/from foaf, we tried with sparql, but even if you'd imagine you had
more powerful buiilt-ins in sparql. say the whole palette of
Xquery/xPath, you wouldn't be able to convert between a string encoded
tel and a URI... literals are different from resources and there is no
way to vonvert between them.

For more details see

  Axel Polleres, François Scharffe, and Roman Schindlauer. SPARQL++ for
mapping between RDF vocabularies. In OTM 2007, Part I : Proceedings of
the 6th International Conference on Ontologies, DataBases, and
Applications of Semantics (ODBASE 2007), volume 4803 of Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, pages 878-896, Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, November
2007. Springer.
http://www.polleres.net/publications/poll-etal-2007.pdf

and the presentation slides for that paper:
http://www.polleres.net/presentations/20071127-SPARQL++ODBASE2007.pdf

Axel

Story Henry wrote:
> I was reading the tel: spec
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2806.txt
>
> It looks like their definition of a tel URI is context dependent in many
> cases. Ie. that is not what I would call a URI, understood as a
> Universal Resource Identifier. Of course some people want to think that
> URIs are "Uniform Resource Identifiers", but well that breaks a lot of
> web conventions. If one has to take the context of where a URI is
> asserted into account to understand its meaning, then it is not very
> useful in any setting where information needs to be merged, most of all
> the semantic web.
>
> Should we limit the tel URIs of foaf:phone to ones that are Universal,
> ie useable from anywhere on the planet? Or should one specify an
> indirection context:
>
> :me foaf:phone [ from [ geo :France ];
>                 call "0164225952";
>               ],
>               [ from [ geo :IbisHotel ];
>                 call "9164225952";
>               ] ...
>
> No, I don't really want to spend time right now thinking about this.
> Perhaps the vcard people have. It may be worth a note... Sorry if this
> has already been discussed before.
>
>     Henry
>
> Home page: http://bblfish.net/

Dr. Axel Polleres
email: axel at polleres.net  url: http://www.polleres.net/

rdf:Resource owl:differentFrom xsd:anyURI .